Thursday, October 22, 2009

Insomnia

Insomnia is a common sleep problem that can affect your quality of life. People with insomnia have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. They may wake up during the night or wake up too early the next morning.
  • A short-term sleep problem is often linked to short-term stress. This short-term insomnia can last for days to weeks. It often gets better in less than a month.
  • A chronic sleep problem is ongoing. This is called chronic insomnia. It is often a symptom of another health problem, such as depression or chronic pain. Chronic insomnia is less common than short-term sleep problems.

What causes insomnia?

There are many things that can cause sleep problems. Insomnia may be caused by:

  • Stress. Stress can be caused by fear about a single event, such as giving a speech. Or you may have ongoing stress, such as worry about work or school.
  • Depression, anxiety, and other mental or emotional conditions.
  • Poor sleep habits, such as watching TV in bed or not having a regular bedtime schedule. If you have trouble sleeping, you may worry about being able to fall asleep. This can make the problem worse.
  • Changes in your sleep habits or surroundings. This includes changes that happen where you sleep, such as noise, light, or sleeping in a different bed. It also includes changes in your sleep pattern, such as having jet lag or working a late shift.
  • Other health problems, such as pain, breathing problems, and restless legs syndrome.
  • Stimulants, such as tobacco and caffeine, as well as certain medicines, alcohol, and drugs.
  • Lack of regular exercise.
- taken from yahoo health

--- Been on a shifting work schedule for about 9yrs, and still my body adjusts only to moonlight. As a confessed nocturnal, every morning shift is a major dilemma. My body clock stops at around 10-11pm but tickles my brain at around 2-3 in the morning, checking my phone for a goodnight message. If my graveyard shift work week has just ended, bet on it that my brain will shut off again at 4-5 in the morning and my deepest sleep will be from 6-9. Evidently shows on deep dark circles under my eyes...arrrggghhh!
So what I do when my brain is hyperactive when half of the world is asleep? I read books, (wala akong psp eh!), before I used to draw or paint, backread of messages in my cellphone, scribble some thoughts, but most often, toss and turn and toss and turn in bed till the sun peeps! haaayyy!!!
If the saying that, when you can't sleep at night, someone is thinking of you, is true, at least di lang ako ang puyat! hahaha!

Insomnia by Craig David
Because I can't sleep till you're next to me
No I can't live without you no more
Oh I stay up till you're next to me
Till this house feels like it did before
Feels like insomnia ah ah, Feels like insomnia ah ah
Feels like insomnia ah ah, Feels like insomnia ah ah

Well, as much as I want to talk to someone who's nocturnal as I am all night... just can't... arrgh!
adik/insomniac

2 comments:



Free counters!